09 Mar Bill Longmore – West Mercia PCC
The PCC invests a lot of time and money into youth projects, whether they are involving victims of crime, young offenders or just giving young people constructive activities to do.
Here are some examples of initiatives impacting on young people that the PCC supports:
- The PCC’s commitment to the youth offending service gives young offenders positive activities to stop re-offending. He also funds drug intervention programmes for young people to try and prevent them getting caught up in drugs.
- Independent Domestic Violence Advisors provide PCC funded support to young people going through criminal justice system, whether they are direct or indirect victims of abuse in the home.
- The PCC directly funds the West Mercia police cadets scheme
- Thousands of pounds in funding for a boxing & education academy on the Shropshire/Herefordshire border
- Work with Shropshire FA, Worcester Warriors & other sports organisations to fund community games initiatives for children
- Visits to local schools & colleges for Q&A sessions with students about crime, policing and the PCC’s role
- Funding lessons for primary school children as part of efforts to combat hate crime in West Mercia
- Grease Monkey project in Shropshire – grant towards providing mentoring to young people
- Contribution to Wychavon youth bus scheme